Thursday, June 3, 2010

The First Day

It finally happened...one day I had a job, starting at my usual time of 3:30 a.m. (usually worked until 4 or 5 p.m.) and then, just four hours after that--guess what? I receive a call to inform me that I no longer am of use to the company...wow.

The reasons given to me about my termination were what I supposed would happen--not meeting the goals given to me to work with my team on by the date specified. Problem was, that I was not given the opportunity to accomplish those. Why, you ask? With very little help--from my superiors and co-workers, and even less communication, what do you expect?? Someone had to be the scapegoat. That someone was me.

So, today is my first day of being "unemployed"..the word that sends shivers down a person's back when they hear it.....I had not been fired from a job--had always valued that in myself and wondered why someone would. It had to be their fault, was usually my first thought but when my husband was let go I knew that wasn't the case. His problem was that the company had closed. Shut down the doors with only a day's notice. He was unemployed for two years, trying to find work, looking online every day, making calls, going to anywhere that had an opening. Still, it wasn't working. At age 59 it was tough for him to continue to look for work in the particular field he was in-until one day a friend of mine happened to let him know about a possible job. Now HE'S back to work and I am not..funny how that works.

I filed for unemployment and was THAT something new! It took a few minutes online so now I wait...but while I'm waiting I'm checking out some schools. Why not go back? I don't think I'll go back to what I was doing before--so impersonal and totally based on numbers....I want to do something that actually means something...

Found a school that I like so we'll see what happens. Keep Posted!










1 comment:

  1. Gosh, okay as you know I'm starting over. Mom first of all I've always been told I have a way of expressing my self with words, some peole say Its a great gift of mine, I realize now that genetics are no joke....my mom is a GREAT writer!!!
    Now back to buisness (your blog). I've read what you wrote and what stuck out in my head was when you said " now he's back to work and I am not" and then you said "Funny how that works".(Is'nt that the damn truth)but i guess thats how life works. When I relate that to my life I can honestly say I've sat laughing almost histarically, crying at the same time..so what I'm trying to say is I can relate to your comment, "Funny how things work",,,Ha ha..okay there's a little sarcasim there. But mom your perserverance (hmm wondering if thats the rigt word)amazes me and is such an insperation, when you don't give up and keep going even when there's a little crying involved. God knows Johnni is tired of buying tissue for when I go into a crying episode..I guess thats fear of the unkown and change. But i can see on the other side of the rainbow where the leapracans live, and I see new possiblities, a new chapter, and that gives me great joy and hope.. even though its scary as heck. Mom, goodluck with school and all your new adventures, YOUR NEW CHAPTER!!!! I love you so much, and thanks again for the inspiration. Love Heidi JO

    ReplyDelete